The new baby can have dual citizenship because baby mama is a U.S. citizen and baby daddy is a Korean national.  The U.S. Embassy requires a lot of evidence to convey citizenship to a baby born abroad.  We had to present my U.S. passport, the baby’s birth certificate in English and proof of my U.S. residency for a minimum of 5 years ~ something I never thought I’d need to prove.  They will accept tax returns or college transcripts.  Then there are three lengthy forms to fill out (for citizenship, for passport, for Social Security number).  A photograph of the baby with eyes open and no parental hands visible is also required.  The biggest hurdle is the time frame ~ you must gather all the documents and the entire family has to physically go to the U.S. Embassy within 30 days of the baby’s birth ~ to satisfy visa requirements.


Tips:  * Bring your college transcript if you plan on a lengthy stay in Korea.  Employers and the U.S. Embassy will find some reason to ask for it.

* Photo of baby: set him down on a white blanket and take the picture from up above.

* Pay the delivery service fee (6,000 W) and let the packet come to your home in under 2 weeks.

* The U.S. Embassy does not accept personal checks, bring US dollars or a major credit card to pay the processing fee of $150.